Dunburgh - Flint House (Norfolk)
|A short distance from Dunburgh house is another dwelling containing three Wellingtonia.
The owner later wrote to tell us that there were once five trees here, the stump of one of those removed can be seen bottom right in the photograph.
We spotted these Giant Redwood while visiting the town of Beccles on the other side of the River Waveney. A trip up St. Michael's bell tower in Beccles is well worth the effort, over one hundred narrow stone steps with a couple of places to catch your breath and admire the huge bells. Lowestoft can be seen from the top on the horizon. The guide on the roof was very informative and he explained that bell towers (campanile) were usually built on the west side of churches but when this one was constructed in the early 16th century the land was too marshy. Beccles was once a sea port and its land was subsequently re-claimed by drainage sometime before the end of the 14th century. Hence the tower is a free-standing building on the south east side of the church where the ground is more solid.
The wedding of Edmund Nelson and Catherine Suckling took place in this church in 1749, who were the parents to Horatio Nelson.
|Common Names and Latin Name||No.||Latitude and Longitude||OS National Grid||Elevation
|Giant Redwood |
|TM 40276 91474||16ft |
|TM 40274 91477||21ft |
|TM 40276 91485||19ft |
|Girth was measured at 1.5m from ground.|