Hankelow - Hankelow Hall (Cheshire)
|Thanks to Shane for these photographs of Redwood trees at Hankelow Hall.
Shane originally wrote to tell about his Giant Redwood and Wollemi pine that have also been planted in the grounds.
Shane says, "Hankelow Hall is a grade 2 listed building dating from around the fifteenth century and has an interesting history. It is a mile from the village of Audlem and is in such a beautiful setting. The owner of the hall has a fantastic tree collection with many new trees being planted; Cedar, Oak, Spruce, London Planes and some disease resistant Elms. A brand new pond has been built for the local primary school so they can study the wildlife and four Coast Redwoods, about six feet tall, have been planted near to the pond.
It sounds like the owners of Hankelow Hall are undertaking some great projects, including the tree planting of course!
|15th century||The first recorded holders were the de Hunkylow's who married into the Wettenhalls who took up residence at Hankelow and remained up until the late 18th century.|
|18th century||Edward Wettenhall sold the Hall to one Richardson whose son resold it in 1817|
|1817||The Hall was bought by Thomas Cooper Esq. The Cooper occupation was dogged with tragedy.|
|1873||Thomas Cooper's son (George) and daughter-in-law (Louisa) were drowned at Lake Windermere on 16th August, aged 27 and 29, leaving a young son (George Thomas Bellyse Cooper).|
|1893||Many years later George Thomas Bellyse Cooper accidentally shot himself shortly before he was to be married in December. The hall then passed through various hands including a wine and spirit merchant and cotton manufacturer.|
|1929||The Hall was bought by Commander Claude Alexander Codrington, whose family remained for twenty five years until 1954. A naval officer born in 1877, Commander Codrington served on the Flagship H.M.S Royal Arthur in 1901.|
|1954||The Hall was bought by Peter Glover Nicholas of Fields farm near Nantwich. During whose time the engine room (used to generate electricity), the stables and adjacent buildings were destroyed by fire.|
|1959||The Hall was bought by John Henry Vernon of Moss Hall, Audlem.|
|1961||The hall was converted in to flats and remained so until the late 1970's. By this time the building must have fallen into a state of considerable danger.|
|1978||The Hall was condemned by the local authority. Reports suggest that the intention was to demolish the top two floors and use the ground floor as a cow shed. However an enforcement order by the local authority arrested the action at the last minute. Over the years a variety of trees have been sawn down it has however only compounded the overall damage to the estate.|
|1989||The estate changed hands when Mr Victor Vernon sold it to the present owner Mr Kirk Shenton Homes Ltd. who is rebuilding the hall to its former glory and has re-doug the lake and planted many trees and of course some redwoods.|